Skim Coat

I have my WD 12 totally sanded and smooth as silk. The manual says to apply a skim coat of epoxy and let it cure before starting to varnish....what is the purpose of this and is it necessary?  Thank you.

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Skim Coat

If the weave is filled, the entire boat is smooth, it's sanded so that it's entirely dull with no shiny spots (or only some shiny pinholes) and the epoxy is fully cured you're ready to varnish.

My manual (and memories) are from 2008 and I don't remember anything about a skim coat so I don't know why they would say that, especially since you'd just have to sand that skim coat again. Maybe it's to make sure that first-timers properly seal the boat before varnish?

Anyway, you sound good to go.

Laszlo

I agree with Lazlo - I don't think it's necessary (and I just finished a WD 12 too).  My WD manual also does not have those instructions.  However, despite my recent build I bought the plans some time ago (I am using manual ver 2.7 from 2009) so it's possible that the manual has changed.

Thanks guys. I also think I am ready to start my varnishing!

Looking forward to seeing how it will finally look.

The question of a skim coat came up a few days ago, in response to a question I asked. I am building a Skerry, and even though the manual does not call for one, this discussion convinced me to apply the coat.

https://www.clcboats.com/forum/clcforum/thread/51532.html

That's a skim coat before glassing. The OP is asking about a skim coat on top of the filled and sanded glass before varnishing.

Laszlo

That's correct Lazlo. I just applied my first coat of varnish and it looks amazing! All those hours of hand sanding paid off. I used foam brushes for the first coat and may try a small foam roller for the next coat.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.