Sailrig aka construction

I wondered if anyone had any experience of laminating the akas with polyurethane glue as opposed to epoxy ? I have used polyurethane for laminating in other projects with some success. Its cheaper and less of a pain to use than epoxy. Is there any reason why it wouldn't work in this application ? Amy thoughts would be welcome. Robert

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Sailrig aka construction

Theoretically, as long as it's a truly waterproof structural glue you should be fine. As a practical matter, though, you're going to have to make sure that you can clamp it up without any gaps and maintain the required clamping pressure. Any voids in the final product will act as stress concentrators and encourage fatigue failure. That's where epoxy has the advantage, with its ability to fill gaps.

But if you have the skills (and clamps) to do fine joinery quality work along the entire length of the curved surfaces it should be fine. Otherwise use the epoxy.

It should, however, still be encapsulated in epoxy for water and abrasion protection.

Good luck,

Laszlo

RE: Sailrig aka construction

I think potentially one of the advantages is that it is better at gap filling than epoxy. I've heard of other people using it in a marine environment , but not seen anyone use it for this. It will get coated with epoxy once it is completed and cut to size. I've got lots of clamps, so I might give it a try. Thanks for the response. Robert

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.