Twist in Annapolis Wherry

When I look down the boat from the bow I see a very slight twist at the stem (not exactly vertical) . When I check with  spirit levels placed across the gunwales about 4 feet from the bow & stern the two are perfectly parrallel which suggests the twist is right up in the bow, between the stem & the bow frame

The planks are all glued but not the frames - is there anything I can do at this stage to take the twist out of the bow?

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Twist in Annapolis Wherry

When building my NE Dory I checked for twist before putting the first layer of glass on the inside of the hull. At that point I contrived a way to correct a tiny amount of twist by twisting one end the boat while the glass on the hull was curing. It was done by clamping a broomstick to one end and weighting it down.

RE: Twist in Annapolis Wherry

If the twist is confined only to the bow area -- it's happening between the stem and Frame 1 -- the culprit is likely the bow itself.  It might disappear if you take the twist out when you glue in the frames. (Usually by clamping sticks to the boat and bracing them to oppose the twist while the epoxy cures.)

If that doesn't do it, a more drastic fix is to use a fine-kerf saw, such as a Japanese pull-saw, to slit the bow right down the middle from top to bottom, fillet and all.  Get some epoxy into the slit, let the left and right sides of the bow slide against one another until they're plumb, then clamp it tight.  It's a dramatic fix, but invisible in the finished boat.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.