Petrel Play forms

Hi all. After a couple years in storage (and a couple babies and much needed house renovations later) I'm finally starting on my Petrel Play strip kit. I got the strongback and forms assembled and spaced per the plans. Already, the first strip raises a question. The sheer strip doesn't make contact with form 1 at all. And has hardly any contact along some of the other forms towards the ends. The inner stems were shaped accordingly. Assuming there should be actual (or better) contact to all forms, should the forms be beveled at all for a smooth transition to the next? I could not find any reference to doing so in the book, YouTube build series or plans but may just be overlooking common knowledge. Thanks!

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Petrel Play forms

Hi, yes all strips really need to be in contact with all the forms to get the correct hull shape. Those at the ends are pretty tough and I needed to make sure the strips were soft enough to get them to make contact. The sheer strip is probably one of the hardest as well as it has a lot of twist at the ends. I ended up using heat gun, an old domestic iron and wet rags to get the twist and bend. As long as the forms are in the right place they don't need any bevelling, the strips just touch the edge closest to the ends.

Here is a picture of the bow showing the strips and the forms. Hope this helps.

Pete

RE: Petrel Play forms

Thank you Pete for the quick reply! This is very helpful. Just touching on the corner of the forms made sense to me but the first form on the stern gave me a hard stop. That is a lot more curve than I had expected. I'll give it a go with some rags and my heat gun. Thanks again Eric

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.