Skerry questions (3/3 drain plug, ports)

Apparently drain plugs and inspection ports are optional, although they're shown on the drawings, and the ports are precut in the kit. Do people do both or are they an either-or proposition. How much can you practically store in the tanks with a 4" access. For the sake of venting it seems like the plug would be a lot more convenient. 
Roger

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Skerry questions (3/3 drain plug, ports)

I went with the ports initially for access. That said I have since added deck hatches.

While I would not reccomend the aft deck hatch (now a seat cusion is needed DOH!) I do reccomend having access to the compartments.

On the chesepeake one of the screws came off from the rudder attachment. This likely happened as I was putting into the water or travelling to MD. anyway, it was below the waterline and unbeknownst to be the screw went all the way through to the "watertight" compartment, just ever so slightly.

I noticed getting heavier in the stern about halfway through the sail and needed to bail the compartment. I would not have been able to do this with the drain holes.

The compartments are more for floation than they are for storage. in both I only keep light things like extra lines, doccuments, a bailer, etc. The 4" ports are more for inspection and ensuring the whole area is dry rather than storage access.

You can fit quite a bit in there for sure, but these are one of the best safety features of this boat.

Venting and shore draining the plugs would be more convienet. I went with the ports originally because I wanted to be able to "inspect" the inside of the tanks and have theoretical access to re-coating or making other repairs to the inside.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.