Tenderly daggerboard

�I have worked on this boat off and on for the past year. She is not perfect but she is solid. Right now she is a rowboat ( in Florida if it has a motor it has to be registered and licensed) but I always intended to sail her. Built from the kit, I did not purchase the sail kit as I wanted to make the parts myself. Unfortunately the measurements for the daggerboard and rudder are not in the manual. However there are drawings with a few measurements and with that and photos I have a pretty good rudder, cheeks, and tiller. The daggerboard however I am not sure of, I'm thinking about 38" long. Does that seem about right? My one piece mast and the yard and boom are coming along nicely. The sail is being made by National. Maybe in a couple of years I will shell out the funds for the nice tanbark sail from CLC.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Tenderly daggerboard

I'd recommend contacting CLC.  They will give you the dimensions.

As for Florida registration, I went through the process of registering my homebuild sailing skiff last fall.  I do not have a motor yet but am planning to buy a Torqeedo so I can use it for fishing.  Registering a homebuilt is actually quite easy if you follow the directions pasted from the website below.  The only pain was paying sales tax on the kit cost.

 An initial application for the title and registration of a
homemade vessel must be filed by the vessel owner with
the county tax collector office. In making application for
an initial Florida title, the owner of a homemade vessel less
than 16 feet in length shall submit to the county tax collector
Form HSMV 82040, along with Form HSMV 87002 and a
$5.25 titling fee (for electronic title) or $7.75 (for paper title).
Upon receipt of the application, the Department may elect
to conduct a visual inspection of the vessel to insure that it
meets the legal definition of a homemade vessel. The owner
of a homemade vessel 16 feet or more in length shall be
required to contact the nearest district office of the Fish
and Wildlife Conservation Commission to arrange for a
physical inspection of the vessel. At the time of inspection,
the owner of the homemade vessel shall be required to
submit an executed Form HSMV 87002 or Builder’s
Certificate to the inspecting officer. Upon satisfactory
completion of the inspection, the inspecting officer shall
provide the owner of the homemade vessel with an
executed Certificate of Inspection, FWC/DLE-126, which
must be submitted to the county tax collector along with
Form HSMV 82040, Form HSMV 87002 or Builder’s
Certificate and $5.25 titling fee (for electronic title) or $7.75
(for paper title). (Note: In addition, a registration fee based
on the length of the vessel and any applicable sales tax must
be paid.) The website for the Fish and Wildlife Conservation
Commission is www.myfwc.com.

RE: Tenderly daggerboard

In Ohio, I was not required to title my Passagemaker Dinghy, but I did need to register it as a watercraft, motor or no motor (regulations on that vary from state to state).  To register an un-titled boat, all that was needed was the Hull Identification Number (HIN).  I thought I was going to have to jump through some hoops, have the boat inspected, etc., when a helpful person at the ODNR Watercraft Division suggested that I contact the make of the kit to see if they were able to issue a HIN.  Sure enough, CLC were able to supply a HIN with their own builder's prefix (the first three characters indicate the marine manufacturer), so I was able to bypass all of the "homebuilt" boat stuff.

It's worth checking with CLC to see if they can issue you a HIN for your kit.  Might save you somr trouble.


RE: Tenderly daggerboard


RE: Tenderly daggerboard

���Thanks for all that. I suppose I should title it at some point as I plan to take it with me out of state sometimes and don't know what their regulations may be. Rick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.