Bulkhead gaps on Shearwater Hybrid

When gluing the deck to the hull on a Shearwater Hybrid, apparently I didn't get the deck strapped down tightly enough while the epoxy cured.  I'm left with a significant gap between the top of the bulkhead and the underside of the deck.  Both bulkheads have the problem, but the one shown in the pics is the worst.  At least with the other one, I can't get my finger into the gap...

What would be the best way to solve this problem?  Thanks!

Link to the pics:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B15GqkRUiGFI2ls

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Bulkhead gaps on Shearwater Hybrid

Hi bru5ce,

i looked at your pictures. having built a lot of these boats including hybrids, i don't think you have a significant problem.

the key thing to start is, is you deck fare?  what i mean by that, is without looking at the bulkheads, and stepping back a couple steps, does the deck look fine and has no depressions or bulges.  if the deck is fare, then all we have to do is close the gaps between the top of the bulkhead and the deck.

fwiw, needing to do this is pretty standard.  and your gaps do not look particularly bad relative to what you often see.

to fix the gaps, my preferred approach, when i have a front and rear hatch, is to use duct tape on one side to seal the gap and then from the other side, put a fillet of woodflour thickened epoxy (peanut butter consistency) which will gap the top of the bulkhead to the deck.  once that has set, pull the duct tape off and fillet from the other side.

bulkheads should be filleted...so this will looks just fine and nobody, but you is going to know the difference.   

you could carve a piece of wood to fill the gap and epoxy it in place....but i think the fillet in your case will work cause your gap is not that large.

Hmmm... I was considering skipping cutting the hatches.  I guess I'm going to after all.

Hi Bru5ce,

fwiw, every area that is enclosed should have some kind of access to inspect and ensure it is dry.  its also convenient when you want to take a lunch, inside a hatch is the place to put it vs on the deck.

there are a number of hatch options that look nice including flush hatches.  you can, if you don't want to use a traditional hatch on the deck, consider a beckson style round hatch installed on the bulkheads.  an example of this can be seen at this link:  https://defender.com/en_us/beckson-deck-plate-inspection-port?utm_id=146308134413&utm_campaign=19735474070&utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid&utm_content=649561297602&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8pKxBhD_ARIsAPrG45kh0jYkCOxPUSm7ttu-GguW524_v8Pjy8-acw9TnI_VPnAzptIttAoaAtphEALw_wcB#76=14&493=9302&615=20558

that said, if you still want to seal it without a hatch, then carve a piece of spare okoume to fit in the gap.  coat it completely with epoxy to ensure there is no exposed wood., and epoxy it into the gap.  after that, put a fillet over it.

h

Thanks, hspira.

I already have the flush hatch kit.  Since we last talked, I've decided I'll go ahead and do it.  I only considered skipping because this is a project that was supposed to take a year in and is now into its fifth year.  But hey, we're gonna be glassing the deck tomorrow, so... progress!

Bruce

It took me 7 years to finish my 17 Shearwater kayak! Once it's done be prepared to have lots of people admiring it!  And I just purchased the wood duck 10 which should be an easier build.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.