Access port on foam forward bulkhead?

I have a strip-built Petrel Play with no forward hatch or bulkhead. I am thinking of fitting a foam bulkhead but would rather not install a deck hatch for aesthetic reasons. My kayak is currently only used on calm inland waters. So two related questions:

1) Am I asking for trouble mounting a bulkhead sealed with 5200 silicone on only one side? 
2) Is there any reason to not install a port on a foam bulkhead to allow ventilation when not in use and possibly storare when in use? 

And I guess a bonus question -- any access port recommendations? 

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Access port on foam forward bulkhead?

Why not cut a foam bulkhead for a snug fit, put a rope handle on it so it's easy to pull out, and just go with a press fit? The boat tapers forward, so you can easily snug it up with your feet when you get in the boat. A 3" thick block of minicell will stay in place pretty well. 

It depends on just why you want a bulkhead. Is it for creating a watertight flotation space? For something to support your feet? Or some other reason?

Laszlo

Hi LessPaul, 

interesting that you are asking as i have been looking to do something like this on my latest project.

what i had considered was the minicell bulkhead with 5200 only being used on the outside edge (as there is no real way to do it on the inside).

i was also considering carefully cutting a six inch circular hole in the bulkhead with a slight cone shape to it (so that the outside diameter is ~ 6 inches and the inner diameter  is 5.5 inches) so that you could press the cut out piece back into the bulkhead to seal it....and then use a rope on the 'plug' so that you could remove it for longer term storage and to ensure all dry and allow it to dry out if that is necessary.

h

HWoxbox: that's an option I had not considered, but I question if the foam might not come popping due to air pressure when I would need it most. 

Lazlo:  my intent is both floatation and limiting the amount of water that would need to be pumped out in case of flooding. 

Hspira: that is a very clever solution! I'm currently not confident enough with my foam cutting skills, but I will definatly keep that in mind.

All: it may well be that I'm over thinking this entire matte and should just tie a float bag to the front of my foot rest rail. 

Why would you not do a hard bulkhead out of 3mm plywood and glass it in (or at least use a fillet)?   As for use access ports, I like the ones from DPI https://duckworks.com/dpi-pull-up-deckplates/

LessPaul wrote: All: it may well be that I'm over thinking this entire matter and should just tie a float bag to the front of my foot rest rail. 

That's exactly where I was heading with my question. Since the boat obviously doesn't need a bulkhead for structural reasons and you already have footrests, a float bag will answer all your needs. And if it doesn't, it's real easy to pull out and do all the bulkhead stuff later.

MY WD12 by design has a single bulkhead behind me. In front I use a large (40L) roll top dry bag wedged in as far as it will go. That gives me about 80 lbs flotation and 10 gallons less water to pump out. I can also trade some of the flotation for a truly dry place to keep a sweater or other dry clothes. Don't really need the fancy cone-shaped ones. It's worked for me for 23 years.

Or you could just see what Mary likes best :-)

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.