NE Dory modification?

Yesterday we took our little Dory out for its first trip of the season. It became quicky apparent, due to my wife’s increasing mobility issues. Sailing my Dory is going to take a backseat to rowing. I came up with an improve means for her to mount/dismount the boat, that is good. But moving about within the boat once she is seated is nearly impossible. I have rigged a stadium seat on the rearmost position so she can be comfortable. But with her weight in that position the boat just doesn’t handle well when the sail comes under power.  I am thinking of shifting gears and doing more fishing than sailing when my wife is with me. Here is my idea, remove the sail mount (sorry it is early, and I can’t remember the proper name). Replace it with mount for a small trolling motor. I know in the past CLC sold a motor mount for a side mounted motor. I know that idea would work. My question is how well would it handle with a motor mounted forward and slightly to the side?

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory modification?

I have created a very satisfactory motor mount for my NE dory.  I've posted about it before.   I have it mounted on the side with two through bolts and star knobs.  Right through the the top plank.  With wood backers each conforming to the interior / exterior contours of the plank.  With rubber gasket adhered to the backers to increase friction and dampen vibration.  An aluminum bracket that supports the motor mount is attached to the exterior backer board. (cut from douglas fir,  Basically laminated 2 2x4's.  then transfered the plank profile to this (now 4x4)  Did 1 compound cut on the band saw.  Then the two pieces just needed some fine tuning to conform to the interior and exterior shape of the plank.   The angle is important to end up with the surface of the outer backerboard that is close to plum vertically and aligned with the centerline of the boat fore and aft.  I mounted mine just behind the seat buckhead for strength.  Moving it further back would bring the motor closer to the centerline of the boat but would also make the mounting angle of the boards more extreme and difficult to manage.

With this and a torqueedo motor, with the battery extension cable, I can keep the battery and throttle inboard to minimize the load on the hull.

WIth the dagger board and rudder in place, the motor is fixed in the forward position and I steer with the rudder/tiller. 

Works great.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.