PMD take apart question

I'm currently stationed overseas and won't have workshop space until I return stateside. So I'm in the initial stages of planning. I need to build a take apart boat because I move every couple years and my agency will not ship a boat of any kind. A take apart doesn't fit the definition of boat when it's apart so I can ship it (government is stupid sometimes, they'll ship a grand piano but not a small boat). 

I'm a little bit worried about the cutting part. I've read all the blogs about folks messing up the cutting portion and I'm wondering if anyone has tried drilling small holes (1/8" or smaller) when installing the bulkheads to indicate on the hull where the line is. I'm just speculating and planning so if there's any other methods people have done I'd love to hear them. As others have said the instructions for this step are far from ideal. 

Pat

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: PMD take apart question

Guide holes sound like a good idea as long as you:

1. Keep them as small as possible

2. Use as few as possible.

Ideally they should be small enough to fit in the saw kerf otherwise you'll get a bite out of one or both sides of the cut. They should also be scarce or you could end up with a paper torn along a perforation effect. In either case, you'd need to sand the edges which could introduce a curve or an interruption in the grain (latter is not a problem if you're painting).

One method I've used in cutting objects is to drill a couple of small holes exactly on the line, put the tip of an exacto knife into the hole and use that to align a straightedge. Then with the straightedge firmly held in place, lightly scratch the wood with the exacto knife. Then do it again a little deeper. And again and again. After the line is established I switch to a razor knife and repeat progressively deeper cuts until I either get through the wood (not likely in a boat but possible) or until the cut is large enough to accommodate my razor saw to finish the job. The knife cut acts as a guide for the razor saw, sort of like a mini miter box.

Good luck,

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.