Jimmy Skiff Launching and Retrieving

Hi All,

Yesterday was the shakedown cruise for my newly completed Jimmy Skiff II.  Love it, but learned there's a lot of kinks in the launching/retrieving process that I need to work out.  

I use a trailex trailer towed behind my car, and I launched from my local boat ramp.  I had assembled the entire sailing rig at home and tied it securely to the boat prior to towing, with the top of the mast sticking out about 4 feet from the stern, marked with a red caution flag.  Not ideal or particularly safe, but the ramp is only a 10 minute drive from home.  

Rather than back the boat/trailer down the ramp with the car, I decided to uncouple it and walk it down to the sandy beach located next to the ramp.  This is mainly because I'm still learning to manuever the trailer in reverse.  I'm not a newbie at doing this, but this smaller trailer is challenging.  Plus I need to learn how to disable the auto-brake feature in my car because it keeps detecting the trailer/boat as a safety hazard. 

Once the boat was on the beach, I stepped the mast and then rowed out a hundred yards or so, where I anchored in order to raised the rest of the rig.  It was an awkward row with the sprit, sail and lines still laying down in the cockpit all around me. 

I'm looking for advice/help/insights on what procedures others follow in terms of managing the rig when trailering and then launching/retrieving the boat.  For example, do you transport with "bare poles" and then completely re-do all the lines when making ready or returning home?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

RayV    

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Jimmy Skiff Launching and Retrieving

I also use the trailex trailer but I bought a front mast stand directly from trailex.  I put the base of the mast on a pad against the inside of the transom and the top of the mast rests on the stand and extends over the car.  I also rest the end of the sprit on the pad and then lash the other end to the mast hole in the fordeck with the downhaul line.  That keeps everything secure for transport.  

I transport more or less bare poles. I leave the mainsheet cenected to the sprit and lay it in the bottom of the boat but rig everything else each time I go out.  It takes about 10-15 min to get everything rigged up at the boat ramp.  stepping the mast while the boat is on the trailer is pretty sketchy but I'm pretty tall so it's manageable.  Just remember to run the halyard and snotter before you step the mast! I forgot the halyard one time and had to take it down again.    

I made the snotter line long enough so I can fully lower the sprit down to the foredeck.  When I row I have the sail on the track with a track stop at the bottom and the sprit and flaked sail just kind of pushed to one side bench. It does not really get in the way of rowing like that.  Once I'm out a ways I hoist the sprit then raise the sail up.  Just raise it until the knot hits the block then tension with downhaul.  Readjust the snotter tension if needed but I usually just have it full tight anyway.  It is a busy 60 sec or so to get it all set but I've never had to drop anchor to do it.  I just row far enough out so I could drift for a min or two before hitting something.  

While sailing I just leave my oars deployed but push the handles forward to the forward bulkhead.  From the rear rowing position they rest neatly out of the way on the front half of the bench.  If needed they can be deployed quickly and you can row even with the sail still up.  I did this before when I was sailing into an inlet and the wind died.  It was way to busy with power boats and current so I just "motor sailed" with the oars until I was through. 

Depending on the conditions I sometimes don't row at all and just sail off the beach or dock.  Last weekend I launched at Roosevelt Inlet by Cape Hanelopen and rowed out but then sailed to the beach to pick up passenegers and sailed right off the beach again.  Later in the day I sailed back into the inlet to the ramp since the current and wind was manageable.    

RE: Jimmy Skiff Launching and Retrieving

This is really helpful - thanks for taking the time to reply!  The front mast stand is a great idea. Rather than purchase one from Trailex, I'm thinking that I'll first try making one out of wood.  I plan to mount it in the mast step itself and fabricate some type of cradle on top.  Then follow your lead - rest the butt against the transom and the upper mast in the cradle, high enough that it clears the top of the car.

Thanks again, most appreciated. RayV

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.